Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Tar & Feathers - More Color

I'm steadily painting along. I think I'm going to change my figure in the background who is holding the bag of feathers, it would be better to have him looking at Joseph and have a little more interaction. I originally thought to have his hand around Js neck, but then took it out--now I'm going to put it back in. I like the idea of Js face being lost in this chaos of hand, arms and people. And the hand along with the different pose will help with that.
And on a more technical side, I've started using an additional white in my palette. Actually....I've never wrote here about my palette, would you like to know what it is? Good. It's a pretty basic palette:

Ivory Black
Titanium White
Raw Umber
Burnt Umber
Burnt Sienna
Raw Sienna
Yellow Ochre
Portland Grey (Gamblin)
Alizian Crimson
Viridian
Cadmium Red Light
Cadmium Red Medium
Thalo Blue
Ultramarine Blue

And sometimes,
Sap Green
Naples Yellow

And now the additional white is Lead white or Flake white. I know what you're thinking, isn't using lead bad? Well, I don't know about that but I can tell you the tube comes equipped with nifty warnings all over it. And since I don't plan on ingesting the stuff, I'm using it and it's great. It doesn't tint my color as much as Titanium white and it's wonderful to use for mixing flesh tones. It's definitely worth a try if you can get over all the skull & crossbones warnings on the tube.

Here's the most recent pic, (sorry about the glare) the guy applying the tar is almost completely painted in.

This is a detail before I started painting in the guy applying the tar.

No comments: