Monday, April 09, 2007

Tar & Feathers - So Much to Do...

We're a week away from the deadline to enter the show, and I still have so much to do to get this painting finished. Normally I wouldn't worry about about finishing in time because I wouldn't want to sacrifice any quality, I'd just wait and enter it in the next show. But this is a big show, and doing well in a show like this could really boost one's career as an artist. Let's face it, validation is the key. I don't like it but it's how the game is played. You see, if some art juror (because the word "juror" somehow makes you an expert) thinks your work is great, then all the sudden everyone who sees your work now thinks it's great no matter their own opinions because the expert thought it was wonderful. I won't get into the whole "What is art?" debate, but that is why this show is so important. Now I don't paint for the juror of the show, that's not what I'm saying, it's just that recognition is a very big part of the art game. Ultimately, I paint for myself and subjects that I'm interested in. And I don't plan to sacrifice any quality for this piece, so I'll just have to work that much harder to get it finished. We'll do it.
The frame should be here today, so I'll get a shot of that and hopefully post it tomorrow.


1 comment:

following her bliss said...

I am certainly no art juror, but I think it is splendid! Anxious to see the finished work...good luck! Besides, who needs sleep when there is painting to be done? :)