Thursday, December 06, 2007

Lil' man

This is the first in a series of commissioned drawings for a family of 5. Each drawing will be about 11"x14" in size.
I've only got a few progress shots with this one since I was feeling the flow so I didn't stop to take any pics.

first day's progress
after day 2

Since I want to keep this drawing loose, this is the point where the decisions get difficult. I want to make just enough marks to make the drawings as visually appealling as possible without overdoing it. This is why I'm going to set it aside and come back with fresh eyes to see what I need to do next.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is turning into an incredible drawing! How about posting the srx photo?

Hattermad said...

Indeed it is the point where some things become difficult...when i am working on a pencil, i let my eyes drift to a couple Wyeth's books...in the world of portrait drawings, he balances that loose / tight thing damn well...

great drawing thus far, the tousled hair to the pose, the eyes are magnificent...your own ref. pic, from life drawing, or their pics?

Casey Childs said...

mgvaughan-thanks for the nice compliment, I'll try to get my source photo posted.

hattermad-I'm using a reference photo that I helped the client setup.

Thanks for the advice about looking up Wyeth--I'll do that. I haven't been back to working on this drawing since I started a painting with a tight deadline. But I'll take a look at some Wyeth drawings before I start in on this one again.